Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy
In 2008 the UK concrete industry agreed a Concrete Industry Sustainable Construction Strategy. The industry pledged to deliver a range of sustainability objectives, and this commitment was signed by trade associations and companies and included the commitment to publish an annual report on the sustainability performance of the industry. The individual sectors and companies had already established initiatives and reporting structures. The commitment to a comprehensive industry strategy and report required coordination, and further development of sector and company processes.
Timeline of the strategy development
- March 2009: the industry published its first Concrete Industry Sustainability Performance Report and marked the event with a launch to key stakeholders.
- March 2010: the industry published its second report which included 2008 performance data and the release of 2012 performance targets.
- November 2010: the third report showed progress towards the vision was being demonstrated by: exceeding the government target on responsible sourcing; exceeding UK average reduction of greenhouse gases; exceeding energy performance targets; Stakeholder Engagement Survey launched.
- October 2011: the fourth report was published which presented the concrete industry's sustainability performance in 2010. The British Association of Reinforcement signed up to the strategy and this report includes performance data from this sector.
- November 2012: the fifth report was published with data gathered in 2011.
- October 2013: launch of the sixth report. This report included data and results of targets set for 2012 as well as a look ahead with the publication of 2020 commitments and targets.
- December 2014: the seventh report, with 2013 data, was published and launched at Ecobuild 2015.
- December 2015: the eighth report was printed and launched at Ecobuild 2016.
- December 2016: The industry published its ninth report, with 2015 data, which was launched at Ecobuild 2017.
- In June 2018, the industry celebrated 10 years since the launch of the Concrete Industry Strategy, and its annual Performance Report, with the publication of This is Concrete: Ten Years, Ten Insights.
- March 2019: a summary of 2017 performance data was published, and launched at Futurebuild 2019.
- March 2020: a summary of 2018 performance data was published and launched at Futureebuild 2020.
- October 2021: a summary of 2019 performance data was published: the thirteenth annual report. More information on progress and latest data is available on the dedicated website at www.sustainableconcrete.org.uk
Further strategy information, including archived PDF copies of the previous reports, is available from www.sustainableconcrete.org.uk
Sustainability Performance Report
This is Concrete magazine